Principal / Founder
David Monypeny has extensive experience representing a wide variety of clients including world renowned entertainers and professional athletes. David has assisted his clients in the successful elimination of tens of millions of dollars in taxes. He is skilled in matters involving both federal and state tax controversy, tax planning, international/offshore tax, bankruptcy, and business planning.
Prior to founding Monypeny, DeWitt & Associates, David served as an attorney with Glankler Brown and as an accountant with Frazie, Thomas & Tate. David’s practice has also included representation of celebrities in resolving multi-million-dollar tax liabilities with the IRS. Because of his wealth of experience as both an attorney and Certified Public Accountant, David is often invited to speak and write about tax-related issues to tax professionals.
When he’s not advocating for his clients, David enjoys the outdoors, good music, and his dogs.
- Attorney, Tennessee, 1983
- Certified Public Accountant (Inactive), Tennessee, 1983
- The University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Oklahoma University, B.A., 1980
Recent Representative Matters
- Represented roofing company in eliminating a $1.5 million federal tax liability under the IRS Offer in Compromise program. The client received a refund;
- Represented tax preparation firm in significantly reducing six-figure federal tax-related penalties;
- Represented U.S. citizen with foreign bank accounts in successful compliance under both the IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (“OVDP”) and the IRS Streamlined Disclosure program;
- Represented multiple retail businesses in significantly reducing or eliminating proposed TN sales tax assessments;
- Represented individual with successfully discharging six-figure federal income taxes in bankruptcy;
- Represented real estate brokerage firm in reducing a proposed multi-million-dollar federal income tax liability through a complex IRS audit.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Mr. Monypeny is a prolific speaker and writer, having delivered several speeches articles, and videos on topics including state sales and use taxes, tax controversy, and bankrupting taxes.
- Speaker – “Multistate Corporate Sales and Use Tax: Start-to-Finish,” National Business Institute Seminar (November, 2015).
- Speaker – “Sales and Use Tax in Tennessee,” National Business Institute Seminar (October, 2014).
- Author – “Wiping Out Taxes You Can’t Afford to Pay”.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Client Distinction Award, presented by Lawyers.com & Martindale.com (2015);
- Listed in Who’s Who in America;
- Featured in Worth Magazine, The London Times, The Seattle Times, CNN, The Atlantic, Fortune, ABC News, CNBC, The Commercial Appeal;
- Tax Attorney of the Year, presented by the Memphis Business Review (2000);
- Bankruptcy Attorney of the Year (1999);
- Member – American Bar Association;
- Member – Tennessee Bar Association;
- Member – Memphis Bar Association;